We are journeying toward retirement – not there yet, but on the way! Our lives are a blend of work and volunteering.
Currently Bud is a seasonal (6 month) Park Ranger at Shenandoah National Park. He works at entrance stations or campgrounds collecting fees and providing information for visitors to the Park. Shari volunteers 3 days a week (Apr – Nov) at Byrd Visitor Center information desk in Shenandoah National Park. She helps visitors with hiking questions, ranger activities, and more. She also volunteers one day a week at Kibler Library in Stanley. Our commutes to work are pretty fabulous!
Our journey to retirement began with a career change over 18 years ago. After 35+ years in a family retail hardware business, we followed God’s calling to simplify our lives and trust Him for change. Neither of us could have imagined that our lives would become intertwined with wonderful people who are:
- struggling to move beyond poverty to food security
- putting careers on hold to serve the hurting and marginalized
- working with women forced in the sex industry
- sharing the Gospel in challenging circumstances
- addressing environmental issues at the grassroots level
- and more . . .
Nor would we have considered that we would be:
- working in Shenandoah National Park
- living and working in Cambodia for 7 years with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC)
- assisting low income families with housing repairs in Appalachia (MCC)
- working with Ten Thousand Villages in the warehouse and finding producers on handicrafts in Cambodia
- taking mission trips to Tobago, Belize, and Haiti – and now Kenya
- traveling to numerous other countries
We have two great kids: Melissa who is married to Charlie, and Reynold who is married to Donna, and a lovely granddaughter Ella. They are all blessings to us and we are excited that they will be able to come for a week to visit us in Kenya. It is always a joy to share the journey together.
Praise God for supportive family who encourage us, and for brothers and sisters in Christ who support us with prayer and morel We have “settled down” in Stanley VA, but still use our spare time for volunteering locally and internationally.
This blog is not really “About Us” – but really about an amazing God who chose 2 very ordinary people to share His love with many people in many places.